Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The Cop the Prof. and the Prez.

Obama said the right thing in saying it was stupid to arrest a man on a false alarm in his own home.

Ever since the drug war started in the 70's and arresting people became a revenue stream cops have gotten more and more agressive and more hated by the public.

I lived in Boston for a couple of years in the early 90s. I saw a lot of racism. One day as I walked down Commonwealth Avenue , in the shadow of the giant CITGO sign, I passed an elderly black man walking the opposite way on the sidewalk.

As I nodded, a car full of young white men drove past us and shouted "n*****" in unison. As I barked "F*** you!" they retorted "n***** lover!" and sped away.

I looked back at the gentleman and said, "I'm sorry about that."He just smiled a sad smile and said, "That's OK," and kept on walking.

Ironically, that's the only time anyone ever called me that to my face - not far from John F. Kennedy's childhood home.

No comments:

Post a Comment